Closer to the Source includes other than foods!

In addition to foods, Closer to the Source will cover other areas of focus in improving and simplifying our lives!

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

It's a New Day!

Because my "forced vacation" is hopefully over Wednesday,  I will be doing my juicing the evening before, thus eliminating a morning rush.

OK, I'll briefly explain. I serve as a call agent for a company whose primary client is a major national charity. Nowadays, most of those call agents work from home, except when there are communication challenges between the local rural phone service provider and the computer's national interface. It's taken a week to get things up again. Unless there's a lot of noise (kids screaming, dogs barking) you never know if you have reached that major company in a high rise office, or a call agent in his home. My juicing adventure, however, should actually be easier while working! 

To this evening's batch for Day 5, I've added beets and spinach the to the other ingredients!  So, I've got kale, celery, carrots, garlic, ginger, cucumber, jalapeno, broccoli, lemon, and apple. I will also be using carrot juice alone as a "snack".


OK, I am finished with the Day 5 juice batch! So much for "green juice"! Adding a small beet turned the juice to red. It looks like tomato juice.  It tastes great. I am certain that I'll enjoy it all day tomorrow!

Day 5 begins.....

I was up actually  1 1/2 hours before my alarm. I wanted to do some reading this morning. I was distracted by a  facebook post. This I'll have to try! Something new I've never seen before...Potato Juice.  Actually, it showed up  on my facebook this morning. So, I did a minor amount of research. It sounds reasonable. Perhaps I could video that process and post it tomorrow! am certainly not displeased with the flavor with the addition of beets and spinach! I increased the garlic from two cloves to about 3/4 of the whole garlic, so there is a little garlic residual taste. I'll likely reduce it to 1/2 of the garlic. That seems to be the only voice that stands out from the choir.

In my apartment I have two grow boxes made from a 50 gallon water barrel cut in half the long way and one three gallon pot. Last year (pre-apartment) I was able to grow a few Serrano peppers and some Cayenne, Anaheim, and Bells.

When I departed the homestead to the present man cave, I brought the pepper planters with me, along with the second half-barrel and enough soil to fill it. As the frost began, I dragged my planters inside. When I set up the second planter, I planted four dozen garlic cloves. So, indoors, over fall and winter, I have had a supply of peppers and garlic greens.  I am presently preparing these planters to start afresh. For now I think I will focus on kale, spinach and garlic.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Please keep them to the point, clean, positive aand uplifting!